Outbound logging

Outbound logging

Postby bitstreammedia » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:26 pm

Just a curious question....

I have been using Ewall with Mail Enable for quite awhile and all seems to be fine. However, I've noticed that only inbound traffic gets logged. Does outbound traffic also get logged? I have a feeling none of my outbound traffic is going through ewall. Mail enable allowes me to specify port and IP bindings for inbound traffic, which I set for 127.0.0.1 port 2525, (ewall and mail enable are on the same machine) which has all of the ewall traffic directed to the mail server. However, Mail Enable outbound settings only allows me to choose a physical netcard (no 127.0.0.1) and no alternate outbound port so it's currently set for the netcard that's public and assuming its using the default port 25.

If all the outbound traffic is bypassing ewall, is there a way I can correct that? If not, no big deal. 99.9% of my trouble is inbound anyway!

Thanks

Developer

Postby Alexander Telegin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:41 pm

If user mail clients are configured to send email through regular SMTP:25, then it also goes through eWall. If they send email at some alternate MailEnable port directly, then it bypass Ewall.

Postby bitstreammedia » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:14 pm

The client connections make sense if they are using an alternate port. I'm curious about connections when my mail server sends mail to another MX server.

Developer

Postby Alexander Telegin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:30 pm

Before they sent at target MX mail server, they passed through eWall (if clients send through regular SMTP:25)

Return to General