Avoid SPF Rejects

The filtering plug-in for ArGoSoft Mail Server (Pro and .NET)

Avoid SPF Rejects

Postby dhudson » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:16 pm

Hi - I am running MF3 with Argo and have one customer whom I host mail for that I have two mailboxes setup for that I don't actually store mail for them - I have a MX record for them that sends it to my mail server, I filter it, and if it passes muster I forward it to their ISP they use for connectivity which is windstream.net. This has worked well until a couple of days ago when the user complained some mails were being bounced. I looked in my mail logs and sure enough I was getting 550 SPF rejected messages from windstream.net saying that the domain uschamber dot com should not be sending mail from my IP (216.157.17.183). Obviously if I am forwarding mail to them the SPF domain on the email is not going to match my server IP. Any thoughts on how to get around this little issue? Sorry if this is a bit off topic but I respect the users of this support forum and thought maybe some one could provide some insight.

Expert

Postby DFitch » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:10 am

I have a MX record for them that sends it to my mail server

Then create an SPF record to match it, since yours relays. If there is already an SPF record for that domain, then add your IP to it.

D
hMailServer 5.3.3: External MySql
Win2k3 Server | eWall 4.0 Anti-Spam Anti-Virus SMTP Proxy
SpamAssassin 3.31 - ClamAV on backend Ubuntu Server (VMware)

Return to MailFilter - General