Better learning example?

Spam-detecting plug-in

Better learning example?

Postby Matt Weinbender » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:59 am

I'm trying to get paranoid to learn by using an Outlook client. There are several spots in the help file that are unclear. I understand that I need to setup a new outlook mail account and change the SMTP port to 33000. I've done that and I can see the AuthLogin attempt in Paranoid, but paranoid never accepts the login & password. The help file doesn't say if you need to create the account on your mail server or within Paranoid. If it is in Paranoid, I don't see any method to create a password within that account. Is paranoid supposed to validate the login & password against the actual mail server?

I've also tried to import the accounts from ArgoSoft, but it fails saying "Can't find ArGo Mail Server location".

I'm also not sure what is meant in the last paragraph of the help file that states "to learn spam email create new (or forward existing) email at address spam@paranoid". The "at" part is the confusing piece. Should I send the spam email examples to spam@mydomain.com?

The whitelist example has me confused too. It says "to learn legit email and add sender to whitelist create new (or forward existing) email at address legit@paranoid+whitelist;" Does that mean I should send a legit email to "legit@mydomain.com+whitelist"? That doesn't look like it would work.

Sorry, lots of questions. If there's a more complete example for this, that would be most helpful.

Thanks,
-m@

Developer

Postby Alexander Telegin » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:25 pm

In learn mode Paranoid can work as a trivial SMTP server, but instead relaying email it will learn from it. In this case, you have to point mail client at port 33000. You can disable authentication in mail client, then Paranoid won't ask for it. If you force mail client authentication, then need to add that account in Paranoid (if account import failed, add account manually), link dictionary to account and specify password at General tab.

Postby Matt Weinbender » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:04 am

Oh, now it makes sense. The directions aren't clear on which account it's referencing. I see the password field on the [Congfig], [General] Page & tab. I am using the Main dictionary for several mail domains & accounts. I don't see a need to setup separate dictionaries at this time. So, to verify this if I setup a password of "mypass" on the dictionary of "Main", would I authenticate using the user/password of Main/mypass?

Also, I'm still not clear of how I tell it to whitelist. Is that meant to be in the subject line? Also, if I foward an email will it whitelist me or the original sender?

Thanks.

Developer

Postby Alexander Telegin » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:42 pm

You have to authenticate with your sending username/password. For example, user@yourdomain.com / password . The target email address could be

legit@paranoid - learn legit email
legit@paranoid+whitelist - learn legit email and add "From" field to whitelist. If you forward, then originating sender will be lost. I'd recommend attach legit email instead of forwarding. Also, you can attach more than one email, Paranoid will learn them all.
spam@paranoid
spam@paranoid+blacklist

Postby Matt Weinbender » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:18 pm

Ok, I think I've got it. Outlook doesn't like a To: address of "legit@paranoid" unless you have it as "legit@paranoid.com". Also, it's worth mentioning that you _don't_ want to use SMTP authentication in setting this up. Once I got those things worked out, it looks like it is in fact learning.

Is there any documentation on how it learns? Such as the value placed on sender address, subject info, body info, etc.?

Can you explain what you mean as "attach legit email"?

Thanks.

Developer

Postby Alexander Telegin » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:39 am

In shorts, it breaks emails on "tokens" and check the spam probablilty for known tokens against the dictionary. It's very similar to Bayesian filter with few enhancements http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayesian_spam_filtering.

Instead of forwarding every single email, you can save the time and send a bunch of them as attachments. Then Paranoid will learn from each attached email.

Postby Matt Weinbender » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:06 pm

I guess my concern is that if I forward a spam email from one of my email addresses, it might categorize my email address as a spammer. Would it do that?

Developer

Postby Alexander Telegin » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:16 am

If you learn it as spam@paranoid+blacklist, then it treats your email as spam and adds your email address to black list. That's why sending emails as attachments is better, because it keeps original email addresses.

Developer

Postby Alexander Telegin » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:17 am

Another alternate way to learn, is drag & drop email files at Control Panel, then select account and message type: spam/legit.

Postby Matt Weinbender » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:00 pm

Thanks. I've done the drag and drop method and it's worked well, but I think the other method is handier. I just wanted to make suer that I didn't flag mail coming from my own address as spam.

I appreciate the explanation.

-m@

Return to Paranoid - General