Password hackers

Password hackers

Postby Alfred Jansen » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:03 am

How can I stop a hacker that tries to authenticate guessing passwords?
Something like "after xx incorrect passwords, disconnect and ad IP to blacklist"?

Thanks, Alfred.

Developer

Postby Alexander Telegin » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:52 pm

It's impossible with current version (or possible, but with scripting and some external database), but could you please provide some of these session logs (at alex@sssolutions.net), maybe I'll create some filter in next release.

Expert

Postby dave » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:15 pm

Yea, I know this is an old topic, but I thought I'd throw my $.02 in.

I always thought that SMTP was the "gateway" to finding valid email accounts, until one day I looked at my POP3 logs, and saw thousands of POP3 attempts to grab a valid account.

Of course eWall can't help you there, and frankly, I'm not sure that anyone (short of the author of the email software) can help you either, when it comes to POP3 trial-and-error attempts.

Hell, I'm getting so skeptical about the whole thing I feel like blocking all my my own country!

Expert

Postby DFitch » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:19 pm

Of course eWall can't help you there, and frankly, I'm not sure that anyone (short of the author of the email software) can help you either, when it comes to POP3 trial-and-error attempts.

hMailserver has AutoBan feature! ^_^
http://www.hmailserver.com/documentation/latest/?page=reference_autoban

D
hMailServer 5.3.3: External MySql
Win2k3 Server | eWall 4.0 Anti-Spam Anti-Virus SMTP Proxy
SpamAssassin 3.31 - ClamAV on backend Ubuntu Server (VMware)

Expert

Postby dave » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:52 pm

Yea, yea, yea...I know this it's been a long time to reply, but I've been busy with medical issues. It's funny how I exchange email with so many people out there (like you DFitch) and you sound like a typical San Jose computer geek, but then you turn out to be an older guy (like me). Want a perfect example? Just look at Alex's picture! Who would have guessed? :D

While Hmailserver impressed me tremendously (and I gave it considerable consideration), I felt that the options for Webmail access were too limited.

I'm going to use a tiny URL to reference the product I'm using since it's not fair to Alex to use this forum for free advertising for their software:
http://tinyurl.com/yjraxdj

Their Webmail interface isn't perfect, but it gives much more capability than any that I've seen for Hmailserver (including site admin AND server admin capability). It runs as ASP and I'm running IIS (though I can run PHP if I wish...I have it loaded), which makes it easy for me to customize and enhance. The "Unlimited Domains" and "Unlimited Users" for the price doesn't exactly hurt the issue either. But their Webmail interface is very powerful.

That's my only gripe about Hmailserver; their Webmail interface. If someone were to come up with something even close to the one I use, I'd switch instantly.

On a personal note "D", thanks for asking earlier how things are. Things are just "OK" now (business is slow, but it seems to be that way everywhere), but health issues have taken a higher priority than spam (hence my noticeable lack of posts). I appreciate your concern in asking. Thank you.

It seems you are well as I see prompt and very good responses to questions posted here. I hope the rest of your life, beyond our work, is as good as it appears here.

Thanks again "D".

Dave

Expert

Postby DFitch » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:31 am

Nice hearing from you Dave, hope your medical issues aren't too serious and I wish you a quick recover! Will keep you in prayers.

I'm far from a computer geek, hehe, just a few applications that I have grown fond of over the years and have learned just a little about them.

I can't say much about hMailservers webadmin, it wasn't designed to be webmail too. So many free webmail apps out there to use(as you know) with hMailserver, Martin probably doesn't see the need to make one and just keep his primary focus on the mailserver.

I however have made many changes. I no longer have any servers running, I moved one server to my brothers office in Ohio where it runs hMailserver for his domain and website. All my other domains I used to host, I moved DNS to godaddy's for DNS control (Wish i knew about their control panel years back, won't have bothered with running DNS servers) and Google Apps for mail/webmail. Google Apps, I have been very impressed with for spam/virus protection as well as speed and reliability! Up to 50 users for free and hassle free for me, lol loving it. All my clients are extremely happy with it.

Take Care, lets keep in touch!
D

Expert

Postby dave » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:31 pm

Hey "D", thank you for the warm wishes as they are appreciated.

Between income being down and personal (health) issues, I'm guessing that I'll be "belly-up" by the end of this year. At that point I expect to shut down the server's and auction them off on "Scam-bay" (real name changed to avoid lawsuit).

However, not being one to give up without a fight, I investigated my GD account and cannot find any service (that you mentioned) for "DNS control". Would you mind directing me to precisely how to get to this service and what link to click on (assuming it doesn't conflict with Alex's program, in which case I would not want you to respond).

I currently have a free secondary DNS server which is flaky, and it may have cost me my last (significant) customer within this past week. My goal is to make a change as you have for reliability, before I go under (like so many have).

Free secondary DNS servers (which can make some people afraid...hint...hint...hint), can often cost you the price you paid for their service (i.e. "you get what you pay for").

For me, it might be too little too late; though by mid-year I'll know for sure whether I'm gone forever or still in the rat-race.

Thank's "D".

Dave

Expert

Postby DFitch » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:24 am

Hi Dave,

Yeah Godaddy DNS can be tricky if you don't know about it. Think I read about it in one of my newsgroups. Anyhow, once you set your domain to use there DNS Servers an option for Total DNS will be available, default records are created for examples, delete them and configure what you need.

Let me know if you have trouble.
D

Expert

Password Hackers

Postby Bob Escher » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:05 am

Hi Dave and David

Dave if your willing I would be happy to be a secondary DNS for you.
I am running simple DNS and have the capacity. I also have the capacity for secondary mail or primary.
Be more then willing to help. Although I am slow business wise (systems admin) I am not going anywhere anytime soon.

Hope your better and feeling good

Bob E

Return to Filters and scripts