filter foreign characters in subject / body

filter foreign characters in subject / body

Postby anthonyc » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:22 pm

i want to block all emails where the subject contains this letter "л".
problem is, when i copy the "л" letter into the filter, it becomes a "?"

we're getting lots of emails like this:

some sample Subject lines of the emails i want to block:

Фильмы в Full HD
Протокол по Кипру ратифицировали в октябре?
Лучшие фильмы в Full HD качестве
Медиаплееры под досутпным ценам и уже с фильмами

any ideas?
thanks,
Anthony

Developer

Postby Alexander Telegin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:41 pm

Anthony, I'd recommend block entire cyrillic charset to get rid of these emails. To add this filter open Control Panel -> Filters -> Add -> from repository -> Misc -> Block specific charset. Once filter added, click at link next to the "Blocked charset" and select all items that have "cyrillic" in name. You can also choose any other languages, the emails in which you do not expect.

Postby anthonyc » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:45 am

'Alexander Telegin [SSS wrote:]Anthony, I'd recommend block entire cyrillic charset to get rid of these emails. To add this filter open Control Panel -> Filters -> Add -> from repository -> Misc -> Block specific charset. Once filter added, click at link next to the "Blocked charset" and select all items that have "cyrillic" in name. You can also choose any other languages, the emails in which you do not expect.

Yes, thanks Alex. I did see that. The reason i was hoping to be more granular is because i have a few normal contacts in Russia and Ukraine who do send me good emails. Will this "cyrillic" filter block their emails?

Anthony

Developer

Postby Alexander Telegin » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:02 am

Yes, blocking entire cyrillic charset will most likely block these emails too. However, you can still try to catch single letter 'л'. I just have checked, although it's replaced with '?' eWall still catch it. But is it not the same - you will block all emails that have this letter, i.e. most likely you will block all cyrillic emails.

Return to Filters and scripts