Suggestions for New Mail Server to replace Argosoft

Here you can post offtopic messages

Suggestions for New Mail Server to replace Argosoft

Postby Stuart Collier » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:45 am

We have been using argosoft now for what seems like a decade and have been more than happy with it.

But the time has come to upscale to allow IMAP and a better web email portal.

So what suggestions do people have ? Im using Ewall for all the scripting etc so really the backend server can be pretty dumb.

So far Ive looked at HMailserver and iMail - Or is it worth upgrading to the .NET version of ArgoMailserver ? Just thought it might be an oppotrunity to "jump ship" ?

Postby Stuart Collier » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:03 am

Does anyone know if the .NET argo can use 3rd party web interfaces ? - seems argo needs IIS installed and that aint never going to happen :)

Postby cbdreinulldrei » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:27 am

Hi Stuart,

I hate to say this, but I have been using ArGo for years. It is ok when you are new to this, have the time and the mood to update, edit, reboot, whatever...

But ArGo is far from stable and I was not able - in years - to convince Archie to fix a mail server bug that made it crash when a script generated a newsletter (blocking access to the database). Instead of denying connections and proceed when the script has run (takes 30 secs), the mail server simply crashes.

I believe, from what I have experienced, that ArGoMail is not very well written. It took several years for Archie to figure out how to bind to an IP address for outgoing connections.

As I said, it is okay if you do this for a private environment.

I am using MailEnable now (again), which in version 3 seems to be rock solid, very few crashes, but never lockups, so the service management under Windows does the rest. SSL is there and working, it has a (working!) IMAP part etc. It also features very well made anti-spam measures which you don't need if you have eWall but which come free for those that do not.

The webmail is a charm BUT you need IIS for this. I can not say anything bad about it, because it works, and is there for free. You could also use some other web based client via PHP - maybe UebMiau, but it has been long since I used that.

Best
Chris
________
Best portable vaporizer

Postby Stuart Collier » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:47 am

Ive tried 2 Imap web clients with argo and neither of them work properly - so thats out the window (I emailled and he replied that if it doesnt work it doesnt work ... ) so no Argosoft.

The tests I have done with Hmailserver are very good (we only have 40 email accounts so not a heavy user)

Think I might go with that. Plus its free which always helps....

Postby westdam » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:09 am

hi,
i was a historic user of argo ms pro..i'm passed to hmailserver for the reason above.. argo is not stable unfortunately.
hmailserver IS a mailserver and IS solid.had lots of functions and it's fast and easy to setup. For the webmail I suggest roundcube (roundcube.net) it's imap and ajax. togather works very well..

Postby Stuart Collier » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:17 am

Wow this is an old thread.

I did try a few other mailservers but I also went with hMailserver and haven't looked back since. For web based we are sing Squirrelmail as the LDAP didnt seem to work with roundcube.

I couple hMailserver with eWall which makes a very configurable and usable system.

The only problems I have had are todo with Thunderbird and Outlook, both are as bad as each other sometimes :S

Expert

Postby DFitch » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:05 pm

hMailServer 5.3.3: External MySql
Win2k3 Server | eWall 4.0 Anti-Spam Anti-Virus SMTP Proxy
SpamAssassin 3.31 - ClamAV on backend Ubuntu Server (VMware)

Return to Discussions and Comments