Feature requests for eWall v4

Here you can post offtopic messages
Developer

Feature requests for eWall v4

Postby Alexander Telegin » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:55 pm

Dear eWall and MailFilter Users,

The work on eWall v4 is in final stage. Here's a brief list of implemented features:

- XML and SQLite data storage;
- separate, per proxy data: stats, logs, filters;
- remote control: the Control Panel can be installed everywhere and monitor/control eWall server remotely; a web-interface is also planed;
- built-in PHP engine;
- open sourced scripts and filters repository;
- built-in Message Sniffer engine;

In this post, I'd like you to share the features you use in current eWall version, pros and cons, and any new feature requests. I'll try to add them in upcoming eWall release.

Thanks,
Alex

Expert

Postby DFitch » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:51 am

Excellent.

ClamAv and SpamAssassassin Intergration would be a major plus to call from networked drives. Since php and web-interface coming, some kind of user quarantine interface for possible spam or virus be a plus as well.

DB possible too = mysql?

D
hMailServer 5.3.3: External MySql
Win2k3 Server | eWall 4.0 Anti-Spam Anti-Virus SMTP Proxy
SpamAssassin 3.31 - ClamAV on backend Ubuntu Server (VMware)

Developer

Postby Alexander Telegin » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:26 am

I can't include MySQL due to license restrictions, but end-user can choose any DB extension for PHP.

Postby peterls » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:16 pm

Will the PHP engine - I suppose it will be used for the scripting - replace the current Javascript engine in the scripting or will both exists next to each other?

Developer

Postby Alexander Telegin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:14 am

The PHP engine will replace everything: generic filters and Javascript. I have lots of problems patching current Javascript engine, and I trust in PHP engine as in a mature and time-proven solution. Besides, there's a lot of free stuff available for PHP, and you will be able to use it with eWall v4.

Probably, it's not correct to say that PHP engine will replace old condition/action filters, they remain at GUI level, but, at eWall service level, will be converted into PHP script. I'm going to start with small number of conditions and actions and then add new ones by request.

The main efforts will be put into solution repository, that contains ready-to-use blocks of PHP script. They are stored by category (there are so far 3 categories: Anti-spam, Anti-virus, Misc) and available in Control Panel. It should simplify building proxy filtering policy, and instead of making number of condition/action-based filters in different events, the user will pickup filtering solutions from repository, for example, "DNSBL test" or "Message Sniffer filter", and eWall will do the rest: build PHP script. Of course, there is an Advanced mode when experienced user can access raw PHP script and make necessary changes.

Please, don't hesitate if you have any questions.

Features, etc...

Postby jcoupal » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:54 pm

Well, I am still happy with the product, but as we've grown we've thought of a few things that would be great:

1. Implementation of a community-driven system such as Vipul's Razor, Pyzor, or DCC into the system.
2. Support for incoming TLS-based connections, either direct or proxied.
3. Support for additional Virus/Malware scanners.
4. A way to throttle incoming connections would be great.

Features that we love:
1. The initial 220 delay works great.
2. Integration of MessageSniffer is wonderful.
3. Integration of AV is good.

Keep up the great product!

Feature Survey for v4

Postby kevinb » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:14 pm

Hey all,
I've been discussing some of the new things in v4 with Alex and it really sounds like a GREAT upgrade! While discussing some of the features in the new version I had an idea or 2 of what I thought might be a useful addition, and Alex said if there is interest in them from the masses he would look at adding it in! Thanks Alex!

Now, I was thinking personally, from using other software that supports these options that the following 2 additions might be useful to ewall users:

1) Logging to a database instead of just files. Useful for generating reports against the list of black/white listed ip's, amount of spam stopped, most active rules, etc. provided those metrics are available from the program. Alot easier to create and run sql reports remotely (like web pages, etc) than to have to download and manipulate a text file.

2) Syslog capabilities, since syslog is used by many companies for their real-time infrastructure monitoring. Be able to select criteria to send an alert on, maybe things like more than X number of requests in a certain period of time (possible DOS attack), unauthorized attempts at zone updates, possibly by attempting zone transfers or DynDNS update attempts, etc.

If anyone thinks these may be useful additions please post a thumbs up here in the forum for Alex, or if you have no use for them explain that as well. I won't be offended, as I'm just textually expressing the brain farts I occasionally have during the attempted thinking process. :) Thanks guys!

Kevin

Postby westdam » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:01 am

what about MSSQL Compact Editon as DB backend? but i dont know if works with php engine.

i'd like user integration with some of the major mailserver ( i mean the ability to import and then "check" users/domain ) of course if ewall is installed on the same machine of the backend mailserver ( argosoft,hmailserver,mailenable,xmail, ecc ecc ) . OR this could be a feature for the X version of ewall.

Return to Discussions and Comments